There are few things more devastating to a homeowner than water damage. It can leave your home uninhabitable, creating long-term problems like mold growth and rot. You may do a few straightforward actions to lessen the impact of water damage. The key is to react quickly.
Disinfect the Area
Water damage is not only a nightmare for homeowners and expensive to repair, but it can also lead to serious health problems. Depending on the type of water and how long it sits, it can contain bacteria, viruses, fungi, chemicals and more. Homeowners should know the warning signs of water damage, such as mildew odors, soft floor spots, and swollen furniture. If left unchecked, water damage can cause wood rot, dry drywall, and even structural damage to homes. If the water is clean, like from a burst pipe, it is a good idea to disinfect the area before beginning any repairs. However, if the water is dirty, such as black water from sewage, it is best to wait for professionals from Denver restoration company.
Turn off the Water
The worst thing that may occur in your house is water damage. It severely damages your appliances and furniture and could have negative health effects if you don’t treat it. Knowing how to turn off the water in your house can help prevent expensive repair bills. Ensure everyone in your home knows where the house shut-off valve is. It is also important to regularly check your appliances (washing machines, refrigerators) for leaks and proper maintenance to avoid costly repairs. If left untreated, water damage can result in mold growth, mildew, rotting wood, structural damage and serious biohazard contamination. If you notice a damp, musty or foul odor, you may have a hidden leak that needs to be addressed immediately. Water can cause electrical hazards, especially if it covers or comes into contact with exposed wiring.
Turn off the Electricity
When electricity and water meet, it can cause serious damage to your home. It is why it’s important to turn off the electricity as soon as possible, especially in an emergency like a flood. The easiest way to do this is by locating your home’s breaker panel (a fuse box or electrical panel). It is a metal box with rows of circuit breakers. It usually has a door that opens by lifting or turning a latch on the side. The breaker box is where the main service lines from the utility company connect to your home. It’s a good idea for all adults to know where this is located and how to turn it off in an emergency.
Remove the Water
Standing water causes a variety of problems. It can result in structural damage, mold, and mildew, both harmful to your health. Mold spores can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system, causing asthma, coughing, and shortness of breath. It can also rot wood and weaken hard-to-spot areas such as floor joists. If you see a puddle, act quickly to prevent mold and mildew. Open the windows and doors to ventilate the space. You can use fans and dehumidifiers to help draw the moisture out of the room. If the problem is big, a professional may need to pump the water out and dry the area. They will have the tools and knowledge to prevent further damage to your home.
Dry Out the Area
If you can dry the area ASAP, mildew, mold and structural damage may be prevented. It is especially important in rooms with hard flooring, like wood or vinyl. Soft items, such as rugs and upholstered furniture, should be removed, as they retain dirty water that can cause harmful bacteria and viruses. If you have a wet/dry vac, floor fans and dehumidifiers available, use them as needed to help draw out moisture and speed up the drying process. Open windows and doors as well to allow air to circulate. Be sure to remove any wallpaper from walls if it has been affected by the water, as it can hold moisture behind it. It can eventually cause it to bubble and peel.